4. Where should you share it?

Listen here:

If you haven’t come across the term ‘omnipresence’ in marketing, prepare to become well acquainted with it. Because once you start doing it, and getting it, it makes so much sense.

Like with my slightly unintentional content-creation machine The Early Hour – it was meant to be a magazine that earned me loads of money but in fact, became somewhere people came for good free articles – I was doing the omnipresent thing ‘accidentally’.

I would share an article on The Early Hour, then put a post on Instagram about it, directing my followers to the website. I’d share it on Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Twitter – and each post would have an introduction written specifically for that platform.

The feeling now is that while you should absolutely share one piece of content as far and wide as you possibly can – to reach as many people as possible – you shouldn’t direct people away from the social media site/app (Instagram, for instance).

They want to keep people in the app/on their website so you’ll be penalised for encouraging people to ‘follow the link in bio’ and visit your website. So instead, it’s wise to repurpose the content to fit in on each platform.

So let’s say you’re a coach and you publish a blog post on your website called:

Three tips for returning to work after maternity leave

A blog post should be at least 300 words long for Google to pick up on this as a fresh and relevant piece of content. You want Google ‘on side’ because when Google recognises your website as the place to send people interested in your subject, you rise up the search pages to the top. More on SEO shortly.

Sharing blog posts regularly will put you in good stead with the Google algorithm, as long as people read it. If they share it – even better. If they leave comments, also great (have a ‘comment box’ feature under your blog posts for this reason).

But that same blog post – between 300-800 words – can be written up in three bullet points for LinkedIn (there’s a character limit of 1300), a caption for Instagram (up to 2,200 characters). Facebook posts can be much longer but you want to keep people’s attention so you could publish the entire blog post, or summarise in bullet points.

Basically, you keep those ‘three tips’ in mind and adjust the length of the intro to suit the social media platform. Then you may want to condense the tips to fit, too. But repurposing content and spreading the net wide is a great way to share your knowledge without having to keep creating new content.

SEO

I mentioned that blogging is a really useful way to get Google recognising you as a legit website. Like with all content, your blog posts should always be surrounding your niche area of expertise, as then Google will recognise you as a leading website in this arena and send more people (read: potential customers/clients) your way.

You need your blog headers to include ‘key words’ – that is, words that relate to your niche, as well as describing the body of your post. So if my work and website are all about being a freelance mum, a blog post like:

How to freelance from home when you have a baby

… has the key words ‘freelance’ ‘from home’ and ‘baby’. All these words relate to that niche. Then the standfirst (opening paragraph, separated from the main body of the post) could include other relevant, but different, key words. It could say…

It’s hard working from home when you have young children. But I’ve perfected the freelance mum balance and now I’m going to share it with you…

Then I’ve also included ‘working from home’ and ‘young children’.

So if I keep churning out good, short, useful blog posts surrounding being a freelance mum, Google will soon send everyone who googles ‘freelance mum’ and ‘working from home’ to my website.

In terms of social media sites, Google doesn’t pull out key words from your social media posts and captions. So here, it’s about keeping the content very focused for your followers. Remember, you’re building a community of people who are interested in you for a very specific reason.

I should say: I still get it wrong with content. Sometimes I think: what am I meant to be talking about? Why have I just put out an Instagram post about whether I should drink alcohol during lockdown?

In those moments, I tend to talk to Rich, my husband, to regain perspective. We verbally brainstorm what I’m trying to do with my social media platform – talk about being a woman, with kids, who freelances and runs a business. And then I come up with some post ideas that fit with this.

But also, it can change over time. For instance, when I started running online courses, and this business took off, that became part of my story too. So now, I talk about being a mum who is a freelance writer and runs an online course business. Your story will grow and evolve too.

However, a great place to start is: what are you trying to sell? Now, start thinking about ideas for content in this arena. Keep it focused, useful. And then, when you launch a second online course or a new product/service, you can weave this into your social media posts.

And remember that you can always ask your audience: what would you like more of? And if what they say isn’t aligned with what you’re trying to sell – you have either built the wrong audience or you’re selling the wrong thing. And one will need to change.