3. Branching out

Guest blogging

Another thing that’s great for SEO is links. You want people to link to your website/blog on their website because Google then thinks: she’s being endorsed, her website must be good; we’ll put it ahead of that website that no one links to. Apparently the best ‘links’ are from Government and academic websites but also a link from a national or well-visited website is great. Links from lots of smaller, more niche blogs are also good and one way to get these links is to ‘guest blog’ – so write blog posts for other sites, that include a link to yours in your bio. Usually, you won’t be paid for this but it’s an opportunity to introduce yourself to a new audience and get a link to your site.

Tell your friends and family

When you’re trying to get the word out about what you’re doing, work-wise, start with friends and family. Share your website and blog posts on social media, tell everyone what you’re doing. Make yourself known. I know it can feel a bit cringe doing this, as if you’re boasting – but if you don’t, no one will know. And in time, you may just get used to blowing your own trumpet (I have. I use social media solely for business so I post about everything I’m doing, work-wise, in case it gets me a new client, lead or reader). Once people know what you’re up to, you’ll be on their minds if they hear of an opportunity.

Be engaged

As an expert in your field, you should be aware of trends and news related to your work. So read about it, listen to podcasts, watch the news, talk to people, network –  in real life and on social media – and share your findings (on your blog, on social, with friends). And don’t see others in your industry as a threat; see them as your comrades – you can help each other out: share opportunities, give advice.

Learn as much as you can, immerse yourself in what’s going on, and the press will then come to you when they need help with a story. I mentioned following the #journorequest on Twitter – keep doing that. Anytime a paper or mag is looking for someone with your experience, put yourself forward. You’ll soon become the person they come looking for.

The information contained in this course is intended only for the course participants. Please do not reproduce or redistribute any of the above materials. Copyright © 2019 Annie Ridout