14. Your sales landing page Copy

NOTE: There is more on sales landing pages in module six, topic 2. 

Have a listen, if you like:

Wherever you’re launching your course – Eventbrite or directly through your website – you need a really good sales landing page. This is where you’ll be directing people first, via social media, Google (if you got the SEO right, as discussed earlier in the course) or Facebook ads.

We discussed the title of the course needing to be clear, explaining what the course is about – and having the key words in there. So having a title like:

Knead to learn a new skill?

Won’t work for a bread-making course.

But:

How to bake the perfect sourdough loaf

will.

This will be at the top of your sales landing page. Under this, you’ll want a few lines that explain what the course is about and what people will get out of it if they take part. Always lead with the benefits to the customer. Also, if your experience/qualifications are very important – add them in.

For my Becoming your own Boss course I mention my book first, as it’s relevant to this course, and then have some info at the top, in bold:

From the author of The Freelance Mum: A flexible career guide for better work-life balance

Ready for the ultimate work-life balance and to earn what you deserve? This course will help you work out what your business should be (or refine an existing idea), give you a big confidence boost, ensure you have the money stuff sorted and the steps to get started… 

The trick is to give information and to be encouraging and make them feel excited but without just saying: BUY THIS COURSE BECAUSE I NEED AND WANT YOU TO.

Below that, you need a longer description of the course. In my opinion, people often write way too much and it gets confusing and repetitive. So pull out the really important bits – what the course is about, why you’re the person to offer it, what they’ll get out of it – and turn it into something readable.

Breaking up the copy with bullet points, sub-headers and the occasional word or phrase in bold can help. But, as I said earlier, avoid emojis and exclamations marks. And pay careful attention to how you talk about the course, because they need to fully understand what you’re talking about.

After a few paragraphs, offer a course breakdown. For instance:

Module 1: What should my freelance work or business be?

You may have a job that translates easily into freelance work, or perhaps you’re keen to try something completely new. Either way, we’ll take a look at your deep-rooted passions, skills and experience and through a combination of practical and creative exercises, you’ll end up with a clear idea about what the focus of your work should be. There are tips from Cleo Walters (House of Cleo), Emma Merry (HomeMilk) and business coach extraordinaire Suzy Ashworth.

Module 2: Finding the confidence to make the leap

Now clearer on what your freelance work or business will focus on, it’s time to muster the confidence within yourself to believe that this can – and will – happen. With an exercise from business coach Nicky Raby, plus tips and advice from seasoned freelancers and entrepreneurs (inc. Steph Douglas, founder of Don’t Buy Her Flowers, freelance guru Frankie Tortora of Doing it for the Kids and author Elizabeth Day), you’ll soon be brimming with confidence and self-esteem. It’s all about mindset.

And below that, I like to give short, snappy bullet points with the important details. This means people can stroll straight to that for the main points. Like: start date, what’s included, price, any extras…

The details…

• Online course, start whenever you’re ready.
  • You’ll be given access to exercises, advice, tips – and set tasks. You access this whenever you like (you don’t have to sign in at a particular time).
  • It costs £95 (you’ll make this back in no time once you’ve launched).
  • You’ll have free access to my closed Facebook group (only people who’ve taken a course have access), where you can network with other freelancers and business owners, and get exclusive tips and advice.

Video

As I said in an earlier module: using video on landing pages can increase conversion by 86%. So you should definitely be thinking about incorporating one here. This should be a summary of the course but also a little intro to you – the course leader/teacher.

Most of my course product pages have a short intro video, you can click into a course and watch one, for ideas. I explain what the course is about and why I’m the person to teach it. I usually try free-styling, with my iPhone, then once I’ve nailed down the message, I write a script and memorise it.

About me

At the bottom, I have a more in-depth introduction to who I am and what I do (and have done). With a photo of me. If your main image isn’t of you – and there definitely should be a main image to break up the text – make sure this one is. People want to see you; don’t hide. Be the face of your brand.

And remember to include all your qualifications/experience in this field. It’s worth taking some time to reflect on this; ask others to remind you, too, because it’s sometimes easy to forget a course you went on or talk you gave. List it all. And then include as much as you can in your ‘About me’ section. Don’t worry about bragging; this is about giving people the confidence to join your course.

Last note:

On your sales landing page, I think it’s really important to have the full details written out clearly. I find it very annoying when the price is hidden or unclear. I immediately decide against a course like that, because I feel I may be misled and lose trust. Also the date: I need to know when it starts to know if I can commit.