11. The best (free) Facebook groups for becoming part of the online ‘freelance/business’ community

Doing it for the Kidsexcellent freelance parent Facebook group. You can ask questions, get advice and there are opportunities to tell everyone about what you’re doing and promote yourself. There are often callouts for people working in specific industries, or with particular experience for articles or blogs people are writing.

The No1 freelance ladies’ buddy agencythis group was created for female journalists but there are also people working in PR and other industries. It gives a great idea about how editors and journalists responds to case studies and look for pitches. Assuming you’re willing to do some writing as part of your PR, you can call yourself a journalist anyway. If you’re unable to join, friend me on Facebook – Annie Ridout – and I’ll invite you.

Freelancing Females – created as a place to share jobs, ask questions and part knowledge in the freelance community. You might find opportunities, people to collaborate with, have a space to promote yourself and pick up a load of tips.

No Bull Business SchoolSarah Akwisombe runs this business with her husband Jason. They say: ‘This is a place to ask questions, share advice, make new business homies and more.’ Give it a go.

Annie Ridout CoursesIt would be remiss of me not to mention my own closed Facebook group – just for freelancers and entrepreneurs on these courses. There’s a very supportive vibe and you can use the group to ask questions, advice, share ideas, concerns and promote what you’re doing. Request to join, if you haven’t already, and I’ll approve you.

Social media is such a huge topic but the best way to learn is by doing, as different approaches work for different people. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there – it’s better to have tried, got it wrong and learned something new than to have never given it a shot.